The ethical practices in SEO or maintaining the virtue of your website and the SERP (Search Engine Result’s Page) is termed as White Hat SEO whereas the unethical practices in SEO are called Black Hat SEO.
Authentic SEO tactics that help you develop user-appreciated page rank are considered White Hat practices, and they include the following:
- Internal Linking–Linking another section present in the same page, this helps the reader stay in the same page but enables them to navigate to the source related to the reader.
- Site Optimization – This includes title updates, meta-tag creation, restructuring for attaining high SEO among other things.
- Genuine original content – This helps in creating original content on the website. Unique content is deemed valuable by both the search engines and potential customers.
- Reciprocal Linking – It is the process through which links are exchanged among webmasters to get additional incoming links.
White Hat practices help websites gain recognition by search engines but if found to be practicing Black Hat SEO, will lead to the website being condemned, which may result in:
- Site Banning – When a website is banned in a search engine because of using Black Hat practices and violating the rules of Google webmaster guidelines.
- Penalty – Websites are penalized by search engines by causing low ranks if the site is found guilty of practicing unethical activities like hidden links, irrelevant links, bad neighbor links, keyword stuffing, etc.